Friday, December 18, 2009

A few more reasons to celebrate

Even though winter has set in on Chicago, there's been a few reasons to believe we could have an early thaw in January. By most accounts the last fifteen months have been rough for the economy, but a couple of unexpected customer calls are raising my hopes that we may see some improvement after the new year. That's a welcome change.

On Monday night I will be presenting "Transforming your business with the Lean Six Sigma toolkit" to the University of Chicago Business School's Entrepreneurial Roundtable in Naperville, Illinois. Some people believe that these techniques don't apply to small and midsized businesses, especially those that are not making or moving products. They might say something like, "We're in sales, not operations." My usual response is to ask them if they ever think about how they serve their customers. I then ask them if they're concerned about the value of their work. If they answer yes, then I shrug and tell them we're all in operations businesses.

It's good to do these presentations periodically, because it reminds me of why I do this for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment